Occasionally, we have the opportunity to place a puppy that we are hopeful to be part of our breeding program in what we call a guardian. home. When this occasion arises we look for potential families to become a guardian home. We are not a kennel breeder and believe that each dog deserves a loving home and family to call their own. With this being said we have designed a breeding program that is beneficial to everyone involved: the dog, the breeder, and the forever family.
By placing our dogs in guardian homes we are able to extend the opportunity of having a top quality "pick of the litter" puppy for a fraction of the normal price.
Our guardian dogs are $700.00 and have the following requirements and responsibilities:
1. You must live within 30 minutes of North Spokane, WA.
2. It is necessary that you own your own home, have physical fencing to provide a safe and secure environment for the guardian dog/puppy, and have a schedule that does not leave the dog home alone for extended periods of time. Our preference is that someone is home for most of the day. A stay at home parent, retired couple, or even someone who works from home are a great fit.
3. You are required to follow our feeding guidelines while the dog remains a part of our breeding program.
4. Also, our guardian home families are responsible for the general routine veterinary care and wellness of the guardian puppy/dog that is placed with them. This includes annual vaccines, training, regular exercise and socialization. Any vet fees associated with breeding the breeder pays for.
5. Provide your puppy with an abundance of love and attention!
River Rock Farms retains the ownership and breeding rights while the dog lives with a family. Once the puppy/dog has passed pre-breeding testing he or she can begin their breeding career.
A guardian is an approved family to receive our breeder's 'Pick of the Litter' as their very own at a fraction of the price. For $700 instead of the full price, these special puppies spend their entire lives with their guardian family and come to us when breeding is needed. The requirements are that the female comes to us for breeding once they are mature and have had the proper health screenings done (12-24 months old), then to whelp and wean their puppies (an average of 8-9 weeks). River Rock Farms pays for all breeding related health screenings. We retain all breeding rights of the dogs until their breeding period is complete, at which time the dog is spayed or neutered and the guarding contract is finalized about age 5. We like to think of our Guardians as family, we cannot grow our business without you and we enjoy the friendships that comes from working together.
As for the males, the male dog will have to be available to us for breeding at certain times through out the year. Generally, he will visit us for a short time of the day; however, on occasion we may need to keep him here for just a few days. Males will be kept in the breeding program until they are approximately 5 years old.
Transfer of ownership will happen once the dog has finished her/his breeding career and been spayed or neutered at our expense.
What are the benefits for the guardian family and the dog?
- Our Guardian Families pay a reduced price of $700. for their puppy which is less than 1/3 the purchase price.
- The guardian family has a "‘pick of the litter" puppy personally chosen by the breeder.
- The guardian family is given a "thank you" bonus of $200 whenever their female has been left with breeder to whelp puppies.
- We invite our Guardian families to come and visit Mom and pups while Mom is here raising and weaning her pups.
- The Guardian Family gets to share the joy and excitement of helping to provide loving well socialized pups to our wonderful waiting families!
- We pay to spay their dog after breeding period in complete and finalize the end of the guardian contract.
If you are interested in becoming a guardian home for one of our puppies please fill out an application and indicate "Guardian home" in the message section!